Event recap: Master Class to Becoming Indispensable in 2021
2020 Virtual Dealmakers Summit
Date: Thursday 10 December 2020 | Time: 11:00 EST
Organized by our I.D.E.A. (Insights, Data, Experiences & Analytics) team in New York
Our interactive session featured a diverse audience of PE, VC, corporate and business development, as well as c-level executives, entrepreneurs and founders each with clients at various stages of the modern growth maturity curve working toward their “Always-On Growth Engine”.
We covered a lot of ground from the art and science of modern marketing to the modern growth engineer who takes a systematic approach to connecting the dots between the customer experience, revenue and the enablers that help clients attract, grow and retain High Value Customers (HVCs).
We wrapped our session looking at the modern marketing shifts taking place with questions to prompt clarity and alignment with your clients.
Here are the key takeaways from the session:
1. We’ve never seen a more challenging time, but also a time of unique opportunities to remove what’s clearly not creating value and focus on High Value Customers – who they are, what they need, and how your client’s brands can become indispensable to them.
2. The Four Waves of Innovation™ framework outlines areas of investment and innovation in data, technology and analytics by both strategics and private equity to enable the “Always-On Growth Engine”. These investments are in the form of M&A, Partnerships and Growth Equity as well as organic innovation.
3. Modern CMOs and their teams are building the “Always-On Growth Engine” powered by data, digital, technology, insights and brand-building content.
4. Becoming indispensable is about helping modern CMOs and their teams understand High Value Customer needs and tailor offerings and experiences to meet their needs in ways that move more HVCs from awareness to purchase and advocacy.
5. Success is about growing your client’s volume and value of HVCs which drives enterprise value – a first priority over channel specific and overall ROI.
6. Indispensable partners understand the modern CMO mindset, vision and have put themselves into the process as an ally and enabler of their success.
Based on strong positive feedback, we look forward to sharing further insights about the modern CMO in 2021. Our intent is to provide modern CMO insights that spark ideas and solutions to continue your success in meeting the needs of this important economic buyer.
Modern Growth Exchange
Michelle Bottomley is an experienced Independent Director and c-suite executive for Fortune 500 companies who has led the transformation of some of the most iconic and legacy brands and businesses across a variety of industries. As a visionary leader, she is acknowledged for being on the leading edge of bringing a company’s total agenda into the digital era. Her companies have enjoyed substantial and profitable market share gains in consumer, B2B, and B2B2C markets.
Presently, Michelle serves as Founder and Chief Executive Officer of the Modern Growth Exchange, a proprietary growth intelligence platform, enabling growth leaders to successfully use data, digital and technology to drive market share gains. Immediately prior, she led the consumer-centric transformation for New York Life, delivering double-digit year-over-year marketing results, while refreshing the 175-year-old New York Life brand and modernizing the marketing function. Michelle served as CMO at Staples, Mercer and Barclaycard, having started her career on the agency side in leadership roles at Bronner Slosberg Humphrey (currently Digitas), Epsilon, and Ogilvy. At Ogilvy, she was Co-President/COO of Ogilvy New York and General Manager of Ogilvy Consulting North America, during a period of high growth. She is an NACD Governance Fellow and board member working to future-proof firms.
Elaine Riddell joined Oaklins DeSilva+Phillips in 2018 as Senior Advisor and stepped into the role of Managing Director in 2020.
Elaine was named ‘The Future Maker’ by PharmaVoice. She is an insights industry innovator who transforms established data, analytics and consulting businesses into high-performance market leaders with sustained, profitable revenue growth at more than twice the market rate. She is recognized for anticipating market shifts, championing customer-centric innovation, pursing strategic M&A and building performance-driven cultures. Elaine is a forerunner in digital solutions that enable marketing and commercial decision-making, including people-level data, social media, digital technologies, and advanced analytics.
Elaine is a Founding Partner of InsightTech Advisors, a growth activist advisory firm enabling marketing insights providers and investors to unlock new value and growth in a marketplace undergoing radical change. Before this, Elaine founded Decisio where she also partnered with these stakeholders to leverage her 15 years of global C-level operating experience to build value.
As CEO of Kantar Health, she merged TNS Healthcare with other Kantar healthcare assets to create the leading insights-enabled consulting firm. TNS recruited Elaine to become Global CEO of TNS Healthcare with the mandate to integrate three legacy firms, operating across twenty countries, into one global business. Over five years she doubled the company’s revenue and tripled EBITDA.
Elaine engineered the formation of NOP World Health. As CEO, the business doubled over four years through organic growth and strategic acquisitions. She joined NOP World as President of 25-year-old Market Measures, the platform for NOP World Health, and transformed this declining business into a high growth high EBITDA margin business.
Earlier, as VP Marketing for IMS America, Elaine was among the leaders to transform the business into a value-added service provider. Separately, she led the development of the premier census-level physician database, Xponent.
Elaine began her career at Abbott Laboratories in Canada with roles in marketing and sales operations.