Autostrada del Brennero acquired a 75% stake in InRail via its STR subsidiary.
Tenor Srl and Inter-Rail SpA have sold a 75% stake in InRail S.p.A. to Autostrada del Brennero SpA. The deal was structured as a sale of shares, increasing the capital available to the business. InRail’s founding shareholders will keep the remaining 25%.
InRail is active in freight transport, mainly specialized in iron-worked products, scrap-iron, steel, timber and coal. Based in Genoa, Italy, InRail was founded in 2009 and operates approximately 150 trains per week in several countries outside of Italy, such as Slovenia and Croatia, and has previously operated trains to France and Germany with partners.
Autostrada del Brennero is largely owned by local governments in northern Italy, with some minority private shareholders. With the acquisition of InRail, the company has established the second railway hub in the freight sector in Italy, with over 600 employees and a total turnover of US$204 million. STR has been active in rail freight since the late 1990s and already owned 95.5% of Italian-based Rail Traction Company (RTC), 50% of Munich-based Lokomotion, 30% of DB Cargo and 20% of Kombiverkehr. These operators run multiple intermodal services on the Brenner route each week and RTC offers rolling road services on the Brenner route conveying entire trucks.
Oaklins’ team in Italy acted as financial advisor to the seller in this transaction.
Talk to the deal team
Cad Railway Industries Inc. has negotiated a distribution agreement
Cad Railway Industries Inc. (CadRI) has received strategic advisory services related to a distribution agreement.Learn more
Rail Infrastructure has been acquired by Mesta
Jotunfjell Partners have sold Rail Infrastructure AS (RIAS) to Mesta AS.Learn more
Margal Systems has merged with Brand Industries
Margal Systems has merged with Brand Industries Ltd.Learn more